When you send projects to PrintWorks, we will gladly walk you through the printing process step-by-step. But here are a few helpful tips to help ensure your next printing project is a success:
- Before you begin, give us details about your project so we can give you a cost estimate. Include quantity, paper stock, size, color, binding, folding, trimming, deadlines, etc.
- Discuss what types of files are preferred, such as a PDF or a packaged InDesign file.
- Determine your color model. For example, will you want full-color (all colors), one color (everything in one color, typically black), spot color (black plus one accent color), etc.
- When it comes to printing, “haste makes waste.” Take time to proof for typos, wrong dates, incorrect phone numbers, etc. Encourage several people to proof before submitting to be printed.
- Discuss and plan for final sizes, remembering that your document may need to be printed oversized to allow room for bleeds.
- Since we can often print multiple documents on oversized sheets of paper, always set your publication size the size of your final product, not the paper you plan to print it on. If you want your document to print to the edge of the paper, remember to set a bleed which extends off the page.
- Ensure that images have enough resolution to print successfully – typically 300 pixels per inch (ppi). While graphics can have a higher resolution (up to 800 ppi) they should not be lower than 300 ppi. If you are unsure, send them to us to confirm.
- Keep in mind that for shorter runs, digital printing may cost less, allow personalization and require less complicated pre-press. However, digital is not suitable for all printing jobs, especially those that require Pantone color matches or certain types of paper.
- When printing envelopes, remember standard envelopes can save a lot of time and money.
- If you anticipate needing more identical print pieces in the future, order them now. The more you print, the less it costs per piece.
Don’t hesitate to ask questions about an upcoming print project. Remember, our team will do everything we can to help make the printing process as simple as possible for your business.
Give us a call at 215.721.8500, we’re GLAD to help!